Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hummingbirds Wanted

Mini HummZinger Hummingbird Feeder
I finally gave up on my leaking hummingbird feeder since there was more nectar on the deck than in any hummingbirds (and it was seriously leaving a stain on the wood).

After doing some research, I learned that the HummZinger brand of feeders is "the best" for feeding the little guys. So I ordered one and installed it this week. I also made my own nectar this time (spurred on by friends and my research which said that this homemade nectar is better for the hummies than the popular red nectar you can buy. And it's thriftier!)

So far I have seen one beautiful hummingbird fly by, pausing briefly to eye the new feeder before he flew away. I have actually seen more birds when I didn't have a feeder hanging from my deck than I have since I have been trying to lure them.

Smart birds that they are, it seems they just want to scope out the place before they commit to adding my feeder to their feeding schedule. Or maybe they have seen me poised in the kitchen behind my glass door waiting to shoot a picture of them as they nosh.That would scare anything away.

Either way I hope they will come to visit often this summer. What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment