(Editor's Note: Marla Heller offers some healthy tips to good eating as we start the new year. Based on the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension), these tips can be helpful to anyone who is trying to improve their diet.
DASH for it!
By Marla Heller, MS, RD
Way back when the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet was considered to be only for the research setting, I decided to make it easy for anyone to follow. DASH was too important to health; it couldn't just sit on the shelf. So I created an actionable plan that almost anyone can put into action in their real life.
Ready for your 8 simple resolutions to get you on the DASH diet path?
1. Have 3 meals and 2 -- 3 snacks every day. Deprivation doesn’t lead to lasting weight loss.
2. Make colorful veggies the center of your meal. They are bulky, filling, and healthy, while low in calories.
3. Add lean protein-rich foods to make a meal that satisfies and won’t leave you hungry an hour later.
4. Choose 2 – 3 dairy foods that are low-fat or nonfat, every day. Dairy boosts protein and helps quench hunger.
5. Add fresh fruits to satisfy your sweet tooth the healthy way.
6. Nuts, beans, and seeds make fun snacks that love your heart and help you lose weight.
7. When you have grains, choose whole grains.
8. Watch your waistline shrink. You are improving your health as you lose weight, with these healthy resolutions.
DASH for it!