Thursday, June 20, 2013

Be Careful Out There: Avoid Falling


Watch out!
 
By now I am sure you know that I broke my arm last winter by falling on the ice on my driveway while shoveling.

The funny thing is that I heard about SO MANY other women who had fallen and broken their arms, too, this past winter, most of which were worse than my situation.

At my book club meeting last night, we had seven members in attendance. Of the seven of us, three, count 'em three! of us had broken our arms during the winter. Whoa. That sounds like way too much of a coincidence.

I find this very scary. Yesterday as I was walking along a main street in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood, where a lot of our medical services are located as well as the University of Pittsburgh, I noticed a large gouge in the cement smack dab in the middle of the sidewalk. I moved around it, but I thought to myself: Someone could fall! And it could have been me!  

I also noticed while walking around our high school that several other holes in the cement had been marked with spray paint. Hopefully that means they will be repaired soon.

The only advice I can give is to keep your eyes on the ground when you walk. I know that doesn't help us "smell the roses", but it might just keep us safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment